Monday 5 April 2010

Wishbones and diff

Finally, got the diff in with the new diff mounting bracket (user error sadly wrote off the first mounting bracket). It's a bit odd as, whilst the rear two mounting points are centrally bolted on to the chassis, the diff is asymmetrical, so the bit where the prop shaft attaches is noticably over on the driver's side:





I'm told this is (a) normal and (b) taken care of by the universal joints on the prop shaft, so I'm not worried about this.

After lots of messing about with copper grease, and with some assistance from Rich, all eight wishbones and the track adjusters are in:


A few brackets needed some light adjustment with a hammer, nothing major. Unfortunately I used up the 7/16" washers on the 3/8" bolts, leaving me without enough big washers to do the last wishbones. I couldn't face taking off all the other wishbones and swapping the washers round, so we nipped off to Focus and bought some more.

I had a quick look at the pedal box as well, but there are a couple of minor issues that prevent me from getting very far with it. Mainly the instructions are insufficient, and, when it comes to which bolts to use, wrong. I'll speak to Peter before continuing with this bit.

The plan is to take the uprights, wheel bearings and hubs to a garage tomorrow and get them to press them in for me, as I lack the facilities for this. Then I can finish building up the corners (i.e., attach uprights, bearings & hubs, brake discs, callipers etc) and, pretty soon, start thinking about putting the engine in.

2 comments:

  1. Good to get some bits on, looks like you are getting into it.

    PM me on BKCC and I can send you pic of pedal box and bolt sizes if that is of help.

    May be worth changing Diff oil before going too far if it hasn't been changed for awhile.

    Still no evidence of tea drinking :)

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, pics of the pedal box will be useful. I'll ping you a message.

    Agreed, I plan to replace the diff oil while it's all still nice and accessible.

    ReplyDelete