Sunday 10 April 2011

Emily's first drive

Peter was true to his word and got the brackets back to me very quickly (along with the boss for my steering wheel, which also needed a spot of welding doing). Unfortunately, where he'd welded the bracket back together, it had bent significantly, and, since he'd also reinforced it, it was quite resistant to being bent back into shape. I hit it with a sledgehammer a bit, and got it usable, but it's still not where it should be. I'll probably solve this by making new holes in the bracket, rather than trying to bend the bracket any further. Anyway, the front cycle wings are now attached, and hopefully stronger than before.

I've also got a proper steering wheel now, which is a big improvement. It's detachable, so getting in and out is easier - hopefully there won't be any incidents with it detaching when it shouldn't detach. Emily is now able to get in (with the BMW wheel, she wasn't able to fit), so she had her first proper drive, finding it "a bit scary" but otherwise good, I think.

Ready to go. Ride height and indicators still need sorting.

Various jobs remain to be done, but the car is starting to come together. The windscreen makes it much more practical, and the reflections from the scuttle are not a big issue in practice. The most important thing, I think, will be the new throttle pedal that Peter has kindly offered as a free upgrade :-) This should reduce pedal travel significantly (currently I need to move my whole leg rather than just pivot at the ankle) and is also narrower, which will make life a bit easier. A proper suspension setup is also on my list, and of course vinyl wrapping the car and fitting the tonneau cover.

Very pleased with how it is turning out so far though.

No comments:

Post a Comment