Sunday 3 January 2010

New wheels

The wheels showed up at work yesterday, and I promptly got an email asking me to remove them from reception ASAP. I think it's probably for the best that I'm not planning to get the chassis or engine delivered to work. This would not make me popular with the receptionist. Hopefully she won't object to the engine crane arriving next week...

They look pretty in pretty good condition for what I paid (£200), with some moderate kerbing but nothing too severe. They could easily be refurbed to look like new, though I'm not sure I'll bother.
Tyres are in very good condition (about 5mm of tread all round), though sadly not matched so I'll have to sell these as I don't fancy the handling that might result from differing levels of grip at each corner. Three are the same, so I could just replace one - we'll see how in-budget I am at the end...



I think these are original BMW wheels, though it's hard to know really. They have BMW written on the back though. I've weighed them and they come in at 17.3 kg with tyres. Assuming around 10-11 kg for the tyre, that seems pretty good.

Also: we now have a tidy garage, modulo the presence of a dining room table which needs a new home. It will be going up on Ebay shortly.


5 comments:

  1. They look like a genuine BMW design. Whether they were made by BMW is another issue, but most of the knock-offs are the popular stuff like the M3 et. al. wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, either way, I like the looks, and 6-7 kg seems pretty acceptable. So I'm happy with them. Tomorrow: engine crane arrives, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. engine cranes are overrated... what you need are friends, or a load bearing beam in the garage roof - you did plan for that didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. thought about it, but in the end we bought a crane. It's strong enough to lift the entire car, and it means we can move the engine about the garage fairly easily. It's still in its boxes because it's -7 in the garage, but I might get around to unpacking it tomorrow. I may well need the assistance of friends to get the engine up the drive into the garage, but fortunately Emily knows lots of rowers :-)

    ReplyDelete