Sunday 7 February 2010

Dismantling bits

This was a week mainly of buying tools and dismantling bits. The cycle was essentially:

1. start undoing some nuts
2. get stuck
3. read the Haynes manual
4. undo some other nuts
5. round them / fail to undo them or otherwise get stuck
6. buy tools

I now own an extraordinary number of sockets (regular 6-sided, regular 12-sided, impact and TORX), wrenches (the 2 foot breaker bar is easily the most useful tool purchased so far). Currently I'm at stage 5 of the cycle, planning a visit to MacKays tomorrow to buy a Dremel so that I can get the last brake disc off, the retaining allen-head bolt being both completely rounded and inaccessibly sunk.

Progress this week includes: removing discs, callipers, etc and de-rusting them. Latter process is still on-going but is looking promising. I've yet to decide how to proceed with the calipers - the options being to do nothing to them (free), to buy a caliper refurb kit and refurb them myself (£50, assuming no fatal errors), or to get them professionally refurbed (£250ish). Also, removed the diff (it's quite heavy) and driveshaft.

Having reached the limits of my socket set (more sockets are on order to remove the hubs), I started pulling bits off the engine, including this mysterious pair:


They are completely self-contained - no wires, no other hoses, etc... which is a little odd. Any suggestions?

6 comments:

  1. I am following this project from a link found on PH, it looks like it may be a good read.

    The picture shows the power steering pump and resoviour.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sam. That's what I suspected from the manual, but I am at a loss to see where anything else connects to this pair - I'd expect at least a second hose going off somewhere. Not that it matters as I won't be using it, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will says, fill it with oil and spin it round, you'll soon see where the hose connects... ;)

    looking good though! impressed with all this progress in the cold cold garage... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. On closer inspection I did actually find two more points for a hose to attach, am now sure that (a) it's power steering and (b) I don't need it. Although I may need the pump to be physically present for the main belt to work properly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BG11&mospid=47431&btnr=32_0650&hg=32&fg=20

    ReplyDelete
  6. No power steering......... ooh you must have big strong arms! :)

    Those wheels your going to put on look very wide, they won't be *that* easy to turn at very low speeds.

    ReplyDelete