Saturday 20 March 2010

Getting Started

Finally, the first free weekend since the kit arrived. Having left it a bit late to order the tools necessary for the first bit, not all of them showed up at work on Friday, so I had to go re-buy them again this morning. Fortunately, nothing terribly expensive.

The first task is to offer up all the aluminium bodywork panels, bend and trim them where necessary (this is mostly already done, but there is some fine-tuning required). This was fairly painless, although the rear panel doesn't seem to fit - I don't think this is due to my bending-and-fitting skills, but we'll see.


The top of the panel should be horizontal where it curves round - also, note the large gap (left of the 45 degree edge)...

Started drilling holes in some of the other panels where they'll rivet on to the chassis, but I've basically done half a panel edge out of a dozen or so panels, each with four edges... lots to do.

2 comments:

  1. Good to get started.

    Well worth getting those panels aligned and holes drilled before you go too far, even if you put them to one side for later afterwards. I use Skinpins not Cleco because I find them easier, if you don't have any get a few it will help.

    If you jump ahead to the front suspension / wishbones check the two side panels front alignment and how you will drill the holes first. Watch the bolts on the top front wishbones, they need to point out so they don't risk fouling spring later on.

    Good you've got started, enjoy and don't forget the cups of tea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I resisted the temptation to get on with the exciting-looking suspension bits and stuck with the panels (as far as possible - the rear and two front side panels are not right and are being replaced, so I can't do those yet).

    I haven't quite figured out the placement of the two front sides but if the new panels don't make more sense I will speak with Peter and get some guidance.

    I found the Cleco clamps pretty good, in conjunction with some G-clamps, and, of course, tea.

    ReplyDelete