Saturday 25 September 2010

Budget: blown

The original intention was to fit traction control, but as the car progressed and my bank account got smaller, I had decided to shelve this for a future project. However, I was unable to resist a (relatively) cheap Ebay auction, so I spent today fitting the Racelogic traction control system and trying hard not to think about my overdraft.

Despite some worrying communications from the Ebay seller (paraphrasing, me: "does it come with all connectors, wires etc"; him: "what are wires?"), it turned up with all the connectors and many metres of wires. As the only space on my bulkhead was right under the dash, all of the wires needed to be trimmed down substantially, so most of the day was spent soldering.

A few niggles arose: the "you are about to reverse park in a hedge" light is switched earth, as opposed to the dashboard lights, which are switched live, so driving the ABS light in the instrument cluster from the traction control will require me sorting out some sort of relay. Also, there seems to be a software issue with the unit itself - when turned on, instead of going into the normal mode, it goes into firmware-flash mode and prints "Waiting for Upgrader" until I twiddle the controls a bit. Probably need to contact Racelogic and find out what's going on here.

Lots of wiring remains to be done; there is the small matter of hooking into the fuel injectors and fitting sensors at each wheel, but the important part is to get the under-dash stuff done so I can bolt the scuttle in.

No comments:

Post a Comment